Diane M. Welsh
Diane Welsh is a Partner in the firm, and a member of the Litigation Practice Group.
Diane advises clients on a variety of matters, including: federal and state privacy laws; regulatory compliance; program integrity; and crisis management. Diane has more than fifteen years of experience in government, administrative, and health care law. Her substantial experience advising top-level state officials allows her to evaluate regulatory and legal problems and recommend and implement strategic, pragmatic solutions for her clients.
Diane is also an experienced litigator, having handled matters ranging from administrative hearings to appeals. She has litigated hundreds of cases before the Wisconsin Court of Appeals and the Wisconsin Supreme Court. Diane served as a United States Supreme Court Fellow with the National Association of Attorneys General. She has practiced in the United States Supreme Court, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, federal district courts, state courts, and the Division of Hearings and Appeals.
Prior to joining Pines Bach LLP, Diane served as Chief Legal Counsel for the Wisconsin Department of Health Services and as assistant attorney general at the Wisconsin Department of Justice.
Diane is an active member of the community. Her current activities include serving on the Board of Directors for the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, and as a member of the Dean's Advisory Board for the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater College of Letters and Sciences.
- Administrative and Regulatory Law
- Regulatory Compliance
- Strategic Risk and Crisis Management
- Government Law
- Health Care Reform
- Health Law
- Health Information Privacy and Security
- Litigation and Risk Management
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Recipient of the 1998 Outstanding Graduate Award
- Ball State University
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
- Major: Marketing
- Wisconsin, 1998
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Legal Association of Women
- Dane County Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
Past Employment Positions
- von Briesen and Roper, S.C., Attorney/Shareholder, 2011 to 2015
- Wisconsin Department of Health & Family Services, Chief Legal Counsel, 2005 to 2011
- Wisconsin Department of Health & Family Services, Executive Assistant, 2003 to 2005
- Wisconsin Department of Justice, Assistant Attorney General, 1998 to 2003
Pro Bono Activities
- American Inns of Court, James E. Doyle Chapter
- HIPAA Collaborative of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democracy Campaign
- Wisconsin Women in Government