Diane M. Welsh
Diane Welsh is a Partner in the firm, and a member of the Litigation Practice Group and the Transactional Practice Group.
Diane has more than twenty-five years of experience in government, administrative, and health law. Her substantial experience advising top-level state officials allows her to evaluate regulatory and legal problems and recommend and implement strategic, pragmatic solutions for her clients, which includes health care providers, organizations, and individuals.
Diane is an experienced litigator, having handled matters ranging from administrative hearings to judicial appeals. She has litigated hundreds of cases before the Wisconsin Court of Appeals and the Wisconsin Supreme Court. Diane served as a United States Supreme Court Fellow with the National Association of Attorneys General. She has practiced in the United States Supreme Court, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, federal district courts, state courts, and the Division of Hearings and Appeals.
Prior to joining Pines Bach LLP, Diane served as Chief Legal Counsel for the Wisconsin Department of Health Services and as assistant attorney general at the Wisconsin Department of Justice.
Diane is an active member of the community. She has served on the Board of Directors for the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, Domestic Abuse Intervention Services, and Wisconsin Women in Government. She is currently a member of the Dean’s Advisory Board for the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater College of Letters and Sciences.
- Appellate Litigation
- Government Law
- Health Law
- Administrative Regulatory Law
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- Honors: summa cum laude
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
- Major: Marketing
- Ball State University
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Legal Association of Women
- Dane County Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Inns of Court, James E. Doyle Chapter
- HIPAA Collaborative of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democracy Campaign
- Wisconsin Women in Government
Past Employment Positions
- von Briesen and Roper, S.C. Attorney/Shareholder 2011-2015
- Wisconsin Department of Health & Family Services, Chief Legal Counsel, 2005 – 2011
- Wisconsin Department of Justice, Assistant Attorney General, 1998 – 2003
- Wisconsin Department of Health & Family Services, Executive Assistant, 2003 – 2005
Pro Bono Activities
- Voter Protection
Honors and Awards
- Marygold Melli Achievement Award, Legal Association for Women, 2023
- Selected to Super Lawyers (Health Law)
- Selected to Best Lawyers (Health Law)