Leslie Freehill, an Associate in the firm's Litigation Practice Group, helps clients achieve quality and cost-effective results in the areas of civil litigation, environmental and energy law, civil rights and regulatory matters. She has been named a 2018 Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in Environmental Litigation. Prior to joining the firm, Leslie served as Staff Attorney to the Dane County Circuit Court, which gives her insight into the judges' perspective to better advocate for her clients both inside and outside the courtroom.
Leslie has experience in state and federal litigation and appeals, before administrative agencies, and in private arbitration proceedings. She has successfully represented citizen groups seeking enforcement of environmental laws, employees challenging their termination, health care professionals defending their licensure, and citizens seeking governmental records through open records requests. She also recently obtained a favorable decision in the Court of Appeals representing a petitioner in obtaining a domestic abuse injunction.
With a Master's degree in Environment & Resources, Leslie brings a scientific, technical approach to helping her clients navigate complex legal issues. She has worked at various levels of government, from the Madison City Attorney's Office to the USDA Office of General Counsel, and is also knowledgeable in the nonprofit sector. While in law school, she advocated for low-income tenants through the Neighborhood Law Clinic, volunteered with Legal Assistance for Disaster Relief in New Orleans, Louisiana, and trained immigrant farmers on legal issues with the Farmers' Legal Action Group, Inc, in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Civil Litigation
- Environmental & Energy Law
- Administrative Law
- Appellate Practice
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
- Master of Science
- Iowa State University
- B.S., Bachelor of Science
- Honors: magna cum laude
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Legal Association for Women – Board of Directors, Member
- Common Wealth Development - Board of Directors, Member
- American Inns of Court, James E. Doyle Chapter, Member
- Wisconsin Association for Justice, Member
- Dane County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Member
- Madison Magnet, Member
- American Bar Association, Environment, Energy & Resources Section, Member