Property Division

Adept Handling Of Complex Property Division Issues

In Wisconsin, financial assets and other property owned by either party, regardless of how titled or in whose name they are held, are considered marital property subject to division in a divorce. Inherited assets, and gifts from third parties, are generally awarded to the party who received them and will not be subject to division unless they have been mixed into the marital estate in some way. Assets brought to a marriage by either party, or the existence of any prenuptial or marital property agreement, are also factors that affect property division in a divorce. While many factors are used to determine the division of a marital estate between parties, the strong legal presumption is that all property will be divided equally.

Handling High-Asset Divorce Issues

In particular, divorcing spouses with substantial assets, such as investment portfolios, retirement accounts, business ownership interests, stock options, and rental or vacation properties will want and need skilled legal counsel to navigate the challenging valuation, taxation, and allocation issues that can arise in these types of complex property division situations. When necessary, outside experts such as business appraisers or forensic accountants may be brought into the case to assist in the investigation and evaluation of these assets.

At Pines Bach LLP, our family law group is able to offer a nuanced approach to the assessment and division of the marital estate that is focused on achieving our clients’ goals and preserving the value of the estate. Our extensive experience in dealing with sizeable marital estates allows us to provide effective guidance regarding issues that our clients are facing, including valuation of businesses, division of retirement and investment accounts, and taxation issues.

Looking Out For The Interests Of Our Clients

Maximizing and protecting your interest in the marital estate is our priority. Turn to Pines Bach LLP. To schedule an initial consultation, call 608-807-0752 or toll free at 866-443-8661, or contact us online.

More Practice Areas