Wage And Hour Claim – CT

Filing a Wage and Hour Claim – Connecticut

Does Connecticut have state overtime laws that are different from federal law?

Under Connecticut law, employers must pay employees at a rate of one and one-half the employee’s regular hourly wage for working more than forty hours in one week.

Some employees are exempt from the overtime requirement. Employees engaged in administrative, professional, executive, agricultural or motor carrier activities are exempt from the overtime requirement. Additionally, the following employees are exempt under Connecticut law:

  • Seamen
  • Announcers, news editors or chief engineers at radio or television stations
  • Inside salespeople
  • Household milk delivery employees
  • Automobile salespeople
  • Members of the police force
  • Fire fighters
  • Private non-profit employees
  • Mechanics

Does Connecticut have a minimum wage that is different from federal law?

The current minimum wage in Connecticut is $8.70 per hour, which is higher than the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

Generally, employers cannot use other costs of employment to decrease the minimum wage. Employers, however, can use tips and gratuities to reduce the minimum wage required to $5.41 for hotel and restaurant employees.

The following employees may be paid at a rate below the minimum wage:

  • Minors working in agriculture and government may be paid 85% of the minimum wage
  • Minors working in other industries may be paid 85% of the minimum wage for the first 200 hours of employment

Does Connecticut have meal and rest break requirements, unlike federal law?

Under Connecticut law, employees are entitled to a thirty minute meal break within the first seven and a half hours of work. One of the following conditions can create an exception to the meal period requirement:

  • Compliance with the requirement endangers public safety
  • Only one employee can perform the job duties
  • Only 5 employees are on a shift at one location
  • Employees who must be available to respond to urgent conditions are compensated for the meal period.

Connecticut does not have any rest break requirements that are different from federal law.

How do I file a wage/hour or labor standards claim in Connecticut?

You can file a wage claim with the Wage and Workplace Standards Division of the Connecticut Department of Labor. This can be done by filling out a Statement of Claim for Wages Form available at http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstnd/forms/wca1intr.htm. The filing should include as much information and documentation as possible. This process can be completed with or without an attorney.

What are my time deadlines?

If you have a wage/hour claim, do not delay in contacting the Wage and Workplace Standards Division to file a claim. There are strict time limits in which wage claims must be filed. In order for the agency to act on your behalf, you must file with two years from the date that the claim arose.

As you might have other legal claims with shorter deadlines, do not wait to file your claim until your time limit is close to expiring. You may wish to consult with an attorney prior to filing your claim, if possible. Yet if you are unable to find an attorney who will assist you, it is not necessary to have an attorney to file your claim.

How can I or my attorney pursue a claim in court in Connecticut?

Under Connecticut law, an attorney can file a private lawsuit to recover twice the amount of wages plus attorney’s fees and court costs.

State Labor Agency

State Of Connecticut
Department Of Labor
Wage And Workplace Standards Division
200 Folly Brook Boulevard
Wethersfield, CT 06109
Ph: 860-263-6790
Fax: 860-263-6541

This material was originally prepared by attorney Joseph Jaramillo and former law clerks Keia Cole and Adam Weiss of the law firm Goldstein, Demchak Baller Borgen and Dardarian, and was updated by Professor Douglas D. Scherer, of Touro College, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center. Professor Scherer also serves as the Vice President of Workplace Fairness.

More Practice Areas